Too often these are the words that describe my feelings toward a situation or even life in general. And I know I am not alone in these feelings. Whether we are missionaries, parents, teachers, pastors, engineers or businessmen, we all have days or seasons where we are weary and struggle to keep going. We have so many responsibilities. Things happen unexpectedly. We are burdened by hard situations that lack clear solutions. And of course, the pace of the world around us seems to be going faster and faster every day.
So how do we keep going when we feel exhausted? When we feel like giving up?
We turn to the Source of Life.
The Lord is our Source of Life. He is the one who created us and it is He who can and does sustain us. The Word of God is full of reminders and promises that only in God, through the Lord Jesus do we find true life.
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” [John 14:6]
- “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” [John 10:10]
- Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” [John 6:35]
Scripture also reminds us that only in God do we find the things we truly need. “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” [James 1:17]
- We find hope. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” [Jeremiah 29:11]
- We find strength. “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.” [Isaiah 40:29]
- We find wisdom. “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” [James 1:5]
- We find joy. “You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence…” [Psalm 16:11]
- We find peace. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” [Phil. 4:6-7]
- We find rest. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” [Matthew 11.28]
I personally experienced this a couple weeks ago as I served in the kitchen for a short term team. On what was supposed to be my last free morning, I ended up helping a friend and working a 14 hour day. Usually I don’t deal well with the unexpected, but I had read a verse from Psalm 29 that same morning – “The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace.” God knew I would need this reminder, and it was enough. God and His word were the source of my peace, my patience, my strength and my joy that day, and throughout the rest of the week.
Of course, turning to the Source of Life is not a once and done thing. Even if we know the truths in our heads, we will quickly be overwhelmed by the broken world around us if we do not return often to the Lord. So whatever situation you find yourself in today, seek the Lord and His promises and trust that He will be enough to sustain you!